Monday, January 26, 2015

Advances in Artwork



            In the article “Fusing Art and Technology”, it is explained how digital media can be used in the classroom for artwork purposes. A magnet school in Michigan is discussed and how the students at the school made artwork using digital media. It is also mentioned how including art in the curriculum for this low income school has been able to engage students more. A course that teaches “Photoshop” is mentioned in the article, which teaches students basic techniques for using the program. The article discusses how students use their creativity to manipulate their self portraits. In the article it is also mentioned how the students get a sense of pride in their work by having their work showcased in an art show.
            In my classroom I would be able to use digital media for art with my own students. I think that my elementary aged students would enjoy using self portraits to experiment with the different Photoshop tools. I would give my students assignments using Photoshop that correlated with a book that we are reading as a class or even a new subject that we are studying. I would like to showcase my student’s artwork by putting it up on a specific wall of my classroom or asking permission to put it up somewhere that the rest of the school could see. I think that by doing this, my students would be able to feel proud of their own artwork.
            The article represents ISTE standard number one. Standard number one is titled Creativity and Innovation, and requires students to “demonstrate creative thinking” using technology. Students are able to use their own knowledge to create new ideas through art. Artwork that is originally done by the student allows each student to personally express themselves. Using their own pictures allows for even greater personal expression.



Downey, Allison L. (2009. March/April). Fusing Art and Technology.
        Learning & Leading with Technology. 30-31.

2 comments:

  1. I like that they are able to incorporate digital tools with art, but I wonder what the future holds as far as the common core...
    Photoshop is a growing skill that (almost scarily) more students are getting really good at! The reason I say this is almost frightening is because I think people will be more deceived between what is real in an image and what is not. But with a skilled eye, someone who works with photoshop all the time can differentiate. I like that you have an idea of how to incorporate photoshop (or art through digital media) into your classroom.
    I think they may have drawing apps, etc. that you could also use in the classroom! But I am glad to see that artwork is not being bypassed by technology :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to incorporate technology in our classroom, especially in art. I remembered in my senior year of high school, I took Printing and Graphics and Web Design and both classes helped me improve my technology skills. Today, everywhere we go we need to be able to use computers or any other type of technology. This is a great way of teaching students how to use technology in a positive way.I like your idea of incorporating technology in your class.

    ReplyDelete